The Lightspan games was a strategic partnership with Sony, San Diego-based educational software and Internet company Lightspan has cornered the K-8 market on video games in the classroom. Created under the guidance of educators and adhering to national educational objectives and standards, the company’s Lightspan Achieve Now series consists of 80 ‘adventures’ that hinge on lessons in reading, language arts and math.
PlayStation produces all of Lightspan’s software at Sony Disc Manufacturing, and Sony charges license fees for the use of its gaming platform for a for-profit venture. Launched back in 1996, today more than 3,600 schools in 43 states are using Lightspan systems, according to the Interactive Digital Software Assocation.
Lightspan - Calamity 1 - The Natural World: Mona and Moki are transported back in time by Jules Verne's time machine and meet both Mr. Verne and the real Calamity Jane! To help our heroes get back home, your child will read articles about various environments such as the forest, the desert, the ocean, and the arctic, and then answer questions about what they have read. So pack your literary picnic basket for a wild ride across some of the world's most fascinating landscapes!
- Use reading strategies to answer questions
- Use contextual clues to understand text meaning
- Analyze words containing Greek or Latin roots, prefixes, or suffixes
- Learn new vocabulary words
- Understand and solve analogies and riddles
- Identify the main idea
- Learn about the ocean, deserts, forests, and polar regions
- First person perspective.
- 2D graphics
- Cartoon graphics
- Nature & Educational themes.